2018- IS HERE. There's something completely exciting with a new year and a fresh start. The zodiac sign of 2018 is the Dog. According to the Chinese Horoscope calendar, 2018 is the Male Earth Dog year. Brown is connected to the earth. Therefore, what better time than to practice something so amazing such as our studio's amazing yoga class outside?
Thanksgiving came and went and it is always an amazing time to sit and reflect on what we are grateful and thankful for.
For some its friends and family, others it's appreciating the small thing in life and realizing how truly fortune we are.
Because it's important to us at Barre Kailua to appreciate what and who we have (especially our clients + studio) - we wanted to share these
For more motivational and inspirational ways gratitude can change your life, read this great article. MORE GRATITUDE
Keeping up with our 8 week count down, we are feeling the slightly cooler weather, more red and green in popping up left and right and christmas lights are slowly creeping out of their massive ball of twinkling wires and toy catalogs are clogging the mailboxes. Yes we are creeping in to Jingling all the way as we avoid jiggling together.
Here's 6 of our favorite things to share this week. enjoy
Last week we posted of 8 to great to jump start our 8 weeks to the new year and now we are down to 7. So we've found 7 simple things to try out. or not. totally up to you. We've got something to fulfill your tastebuds, food for thought, a pretty scrub you can easily make as christmas gifts, a great and amazing read, some core work, something for those choppers, and a quick catch up on whats going on in the world. I hope you enjoy this weeks picks! Please let us know what you'd like to see more of (or less of) and we will be sure to accommodate !
There are 8 weeks left in 2017. That being said, there are only 8 more weeks until 2018. 8 . Weeks till the New Year. What do we all do when Jan 1st hits? Create a resolution list of course! This means cold turkey on everything you're normally doing ( mostly bad habits) and FORCE yourself to do all these great new things because its a New Year and you're a changed person. Sure. Good luck buddy.
Most of these resolutions fail so imma gonna take care of you now. Lets inch our way into 2018 - one week at a time making small, simple changes week by week so when 2018 rolls around we have already created new and healthy habits and own January like the rock stars we are?!
This 8 week checklist / challenge / to-do list or what ever you wanna call it will NOT be your traditional B.S. list of non-sense but its a creative and functional guide to practice (or not, its your life) and updated weekly.
It's not your typical M-F week either. Monday already has enough crap going on. so lets begin each week on Wednesday / Thursday. However you choose to practice its up to you.
How it works: We will make a list of 8 things to try each week. These will vary from exercise (of course), habits, behaviors, foods, life hacks, ect. Just 8. Now I'm not saying doing these will change your life and you will achieve enlightenment, BUT! It could change your day or even your week and that's pretty amazing; especially with the holidays creeping up. Good luck and leave some feedback so i know what to develop and what to ditch.
Here it is. Try them out - Like all things new and exciting ease into it and build from there. Got some likewise suggestions or wanna see more of something? leave a comment or email us! Have a great week! whatever day it is!.
HALLOWEEN AKA EAT SO MUCH "FUN SIZED" CANDY WHERE YOU'RE FEELING NOT SO FUN THE DAY(S)
HERE ARE SOME HALLOWEEN INSPIRATION FOUND ON PINTEREST TO GET YOU IN THE MOOD AND INTO THE STUDIO ON THE 31ST. FOR OUR CRUNCHES IN COSTUMES CLASS.
Barre: Barre was created by ballerina Lotte Berk in London in 1959, teaching her first classes from her basement.
Barre Kailua : Created by owner Jennifer Carroll in Kailua in 2014, teaching her first class in her bedroom.
Mavis Tracy Ballet School: Created by founder Mavis Tracy in Kailua in the 1960s, where she decided to open a classical ballet school at the Kailua YMCA AND taught ballet out of her home.
What do these things all have in common? besides all being relatively similar in its field and craft; they've all started small - fueled by passion and a desire to teach and move with grace.
As much as we'd love to have Lotte Berk come and teach a few classes and practice with us, thats a little bit out of reach- however - we are so happy to host and reinstate the Mavis Tracy Ballet School, here at Barre Kailua.
This incredible article by GO KAILUA MAG. tell's a great story about the Ballet School and its history, which is no wonder why it was such a staple in Kailua.
It is really exciting, not only growing up in the Kailua community, but going up doing what you love, with people you love then turning it into a heath conscious business and which is helping and empowering others in our beloved community. Then to top that off- working so closely with someone who compliments then field and growing together. Thats what our idea of community is.
Compliment not Compete.
Beginning Oct. 2017 Mavis Tracy Ballet School will offer its first round of ballet classes for those ages 4+ on mondays and tuesdays. These will be their into classes to ballet and welcomes all levels.
Open House + Registration will Be held at Barre Kailua SATURDAY, Sept 30th from 3-5p.
Join us in learning more about the classes, school, studio, and meet the teachers that will be guiding your little one(s) or even yourself though this timeless cultural art.
For More info complete form below:
20 ways to grow this new year
1. DRINK UP BUTTER CUP: "60% of the human body if made of water".... you hear it over and over and over. So pour yourself a glass and drink away.
2. CLEAR THE CAN: rid the past , and take out the trash. Emotional, physical, digital.
3. Give a little - there's magic when you give to others. Try compliments. They are free and the effects are priceless.
4. STASH AND SAVE : 20% . Put it away. Far, far away. You'll thank yourself when you're in a bind and it's nice to know you've got a little something to fall back on during the holidays
5. Journal your gratitude: bad day? Make a list of all the good going on in your life. Reflect as needed.
6. Explore: travel / adventure , just get out and go somewhere new. Do something outside your norm and comfort zone. You'll be surprised how much you'll learn and it could change your perspective and even your life. Think Eat. pray. love
7. CATCH SOME Zzzzzzzzzs. Resting when you're tired, grouchy, and need to take a break. That's your body telling you it needs to hit the pause button and nap. You will wake up feeling better and your brain will thank you.
8. Meditate sit and be still. Try 1 min a day of quiet and being present. Then try another min. Meditation does wonders for the mind, body, and soul.
9. Make a killer playlist. Music moves mountians. And no one has say over what you sing or how you sing. Jam out like no one is watching.
10. Cook something new. There's a lot of pride in cooking something complicated, or even sharing a meal created from love to nourshish the soul and fill the gut.
11. Plant something - be it a seed, garden, veggies, flowers, or an idea- nurture it and watch it grow.
12. R E A D : read a book, or 50. No time to read? Download an audiobook- tap into your childhood and use your imagination
13. Eat your greens. They are loaded with good stuff. picky eater? Close your eyes, pinch your nose and dive in. No excuses
14. Stretch: stretching your muscles are so important. You only have 1 body, and majority of aches and pains can be cured with consistency in stretching and gaining flexibitly.
15. Laughter: truly the best medicine. Laugh everyday and laugh loud. Share a laugh. Laugh at yourself . Laugh with others . It lightens the mood and feels good.
16. Pray. Talk to god. He's a great listener. Thank him for everything. He gives you what you have for a reason.
17. Create. Paint, draw, scribble, sketch, ect.
Make something with your hands and your heart. Put it on the fridGe. Be proud of what you can do.
18. Unplug. Cut back on screen time and be present. After you read the rest of these of course.
19. Exercise. Even better go to barre. Total body + a good stretch and a place to drink water and laugh ? Pretty sure we cover half this list.
20. Ground yourself. Daily. Kick off the shoes and walk around in the grass, mud, sand, or water- get in touch with nature.
So there it is. 20 super simple things you can do. Won't cost you a thing and I will guarantee you'll be on the right track for the new year.
December is coming to a quick close and 2017 in merely a few weeks away. What's the #1 thing everyone does those last hours of the year? yep make their resolutions list.
"I wanna work out more, lose weight, eat healthy, and blah blah blah....." We are all guilty of it and very few really stick to their unspoken promise they make themselves. However things can change going into 2017. How the heck?! you might ask... Well Studies show it takes 21 days to form a healthy habit or break an unhealthy one. Whatever you want to achieve to better yourself going into the New year, you could start now and when that ball drops and January is here, you've already got your routine down.
Be S.M.A.R.T. about your goals
-Specific: goal should identify a specific action or event will take place
-Measurable: goal and its benefits should be quantifiable
-Achievable: goal should be attainable given available resources.
-Realistic: The Goal should require you to stretch some, but allow the likelihood of success.
-Timely: goal should state the time period in which it will be accomplished.